Brown Bess is a single sailed balanced lug and particularly stable and easy to sail. She is a favourite of our customers and perfect for any who may have limited sailing experience.
Our half deckers are perfect for camping on the river under the stars or mooring outside of your holiday cottage.
- Seats up to four people
- Oars & Mud weight provided
- Boat cover doubles as camping awning
- 'Biscuit' Mattresses available for sleeping onboard
- Buoyancy Jackets supplied
- 5 litre water containers available upon request
- Fixed Keel
– Please note, you cannot start a booking on a Sunday or Bank holiday due to the yard being closed
– Hire is from 9am to 9am the following day with no sailing after dusk
– Pick up times: Short Breaks 11am Long Stays 1pm
Brown Bess is a Middle Nene One Design and was built in the late 1940`s by Percival in Horning. She was originally Gunter rigged with a small Stuart Turner engine. Donated to Hunter’s Yard in 1968, she underwent a major re-fit, which involved changing to a balanced lug rig to match the Woodcuts. She was then completely rebuilt at the Yard in 1986-87 using the old hull as a pattern – only the keel was kept. She was planked in iroko.